Vegan Zucchini Bread
Vegan zucchini bread is one of my favorite quick breads to make because it’s easy, it has so much flavor, and I can eat it for breakfast. It’s also a good way to sneak in some vegetables ;). I usually grow zucchini every year in my ‘urban’ garden, and end up with too much. While I can freeze the zucchini, personally, I’d rather just put it into a baked good and then freeze that for later use. But this vegan zucchini bread? Yea, that will be consumed long before it even makes it to the freezer! It’s tender, moist, and LOADED with walnuts, chocolate chips, and zucchini. This recipe has more zucchini than most recipes, making it easier to use up your bounty!
***Non-vegan and non-gluten-free substitutions are also provided below.
Step-by-step instructions in a video format for this recipe are available on my YouTube channel and above the recipe card below.
Step 1. Make sure the oven rack is in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350F. Prepare an 8″ x 4″ x 2″ bread pan by greasing it with vegetable shortening and then coating it in flour. If you don’t have that size, then you can use a 9″ x 4″ x 2″. I actually used a larger pan than that (9 5/8″ x 5 1/2″ x 2 3/4″), as you can probably tell from my photo. 😉 If you use a bigger pan than an 8″ x 4″ x 2″, the quick bread will just be short and stout. But I promise it still tastes the same. The larger the pan, the shorter the baking time.
The egg replacement in this recipe is a flax egg (you can use an egg if you are non-vegan). To make the flax egg, measure out 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of boiling water into a small bowl. Gently mix together and let sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
Next, we need to prepare the zucchini. Wash your zucchini, dry it, then grate enough of it so that you have 1 1/2 cups. Set aside. Any leftover shredded zucchini can be frozen. Measure how much you are going to freeze, and then put it into a labeled freezer bag with the amount and put it into the freezer. The reason why I say to measure it beforehand is that it shrinks a lot after it’s been frozen.
In a large mixing bowl, mix 1/4 cup melted vegan butter (regular butter if you are non-vegan), 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1 flax egg (1 large egg if you are non-vegan), 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon iodized salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg with an electric mixer on medium speed until just combined.
Step 2. Pour in 1 1/2 cups of 1:1 gluten-free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1:1 baking flour; 4.8 oz/cup) and mix until combined. If you are not gluten-free, use 1 1/2 cups of regular all-purpose flour (4.25 oz/cup).
Step 3. Gently fold in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (regular if you are not vegan).
Step 4. Pour into prepared bread pan. Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden brown, starts to split, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
More Recipes Like This:
Vegan Zucchini Bread
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (OR regular butter if non-vegan)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons boiling water) (OR 1 large egg if non-vegan)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups 1:1 gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free 1:1 baking flour, 4.8 oz/cup) (OR regular all-purpose flour if not gluten-free, 4.25 oz/cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (OR regular chocolate chips if non-vegan)
- Arrange oven rack to be in the middle. Preheat to 350F. Grease and flour an 8" x 4" x 2" bread pan (over slightly larger sizes will also work, I used a 9 5/8" x 5 1/2" x 2 3/4" pan). Mix ingredients for flax egg and let it thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix melted vegan butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, flax egg, vanilla extract, shredded unpeeled zucchini, ground cinnamon, iodized salt, baking soda, baking powder, and ground nutmeg with an electric mixer on medium speed until just combined.
- Add 1:1 gluten-free flour and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in chopped walnuts and vegan chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared bread pan. Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden brown, starts to split, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
ARE YOU MAKING THIS RECIPE OR OTHERS? Share your creations with me by posting a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, share it on Twitter, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #thepanickedfoodie.