Vegan Hot Cocoa
Here in central NY, we have hit the worst part of winter: the much dreaded months of January and February. For us, this is the coldest and darkest time of the year. I like to use this time as a time to slow down a little bit, take part in some extra self-care, and indulge in some introspection. To me, self-care is an activity that nourishes my soul…and sometimes my stomach ;). A big part of my self-care involves baking delicious treats and making hot beverages to go along with them. One of my favorite beverages during this time of year, is my vegan hot cocoa. It comes together in under 5 minutes, and it is so delicious and creamy. I can feel it thawing me from the inside out, making me feel all warm and cozy by my space heater. 🙂
Can I use water for hot cocoa?
Absolutely! Water, milk, or any type of milk alternative can be used to make hot cocoa. I tend to use a milk alternative to add creaminess.
What is the best hot cocoa?
The best hot cocoa is the one you make from scratch because you know exactly what is in it and you can tailor it specifically to your taste!
Does hot cocoa help you sleep?
I think this really depends on how sensitive you are to caffeine because there is some caffeine in the cocoa powder (about 12mg per 1 tablespoon). Generally speaking, any warm beverage will make you feel sleepy. But depending on your body and your caffeine sensitivity, the caffeine content might negatively counteract that.
How to Make Vegan Hot Cocoa
1. Warm any liquid of your choice (water, milk, or milk alternative) in the microwave for about 1 minute.
2. Add cocoa powder, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Heat in the microwave for an additional 45s. If it’s not warm enough, heat in 15s increments until the desired temperature is reached. Top with your favorite toppings (my favorites are coconut whipped cream and homemade chocolate chips) and enjoy!
Pair Hot Cocoa With:
ARE YOU MAKING THIS RECIPE OR OTHERS?
Share your creations with me by posting a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, share it on Twitter, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #thepanickedfoodie.
Vegan Hot Cocoa
This vegan hot chocolate pairs well with virtually all of my cookie recipes. My favorite hot cocoa toppings are coconut whipped cream, marshmallows, and mini chocolate chips!
- 8 oz water or milk of your choice (I used original almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Warm any liquid of your choice (water, milk, or milk alternative) in the microwave for about 1 minute.
Add cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Heat in the microwave for an additional 45s. If it's not warm enough, heat in 15s increments until the desired temperature is reached. Top with your favorite toppings (my favorites are coconut whipped cream and homemade chocolate chips) and enjoy!
- If making with unsweetened alternative milk, you might have to double the sugar. When I made it with unsweetened almond milk, I had to use 2 tablespoons of confectioner's sugar as opposed to 1 tablespoon. I would always start with 1 tablespoon and then adjust from there if needed.