Golden Milk Latte
Golden milk lattes are my new favorite drink. It tastes like a chai tea, but creamier. I literally took one sip, and was like why have I not tried this sooner?! Golden milk latte is a very healthy drink, if you skip the canned coconut milk (a lot of recipes call for this). I’m all for saturated fats, but I prefer them in moderation. The key healthy ingredient in this drink is turmeric. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties because of the curcumin. However, the amount of curcumin in turmeric is only about 3% by weight, so you either need to ingest a ton of turmeric to feel the benefits, or pair it with black pepper and healthy fats. The piperine in ground black pepper enhances the absorption of curcumin by about 2,000%. Curcumin is also fat soluble, so it is important to add a fat into the drink. In this recipe, a pinch of black pepper is added, and a small amount of coconut oil is added as the fat. However, if you are going to eat a fatty meal, you can just skip the coconut oil if you want, or if you don’t like the taste. I also like to hit it with an immersion blender to froth it up a bit and give the drink some body. You can also hit it with a frother if you have one on hand. I’m not going to lie…I almost drank the whole thing before I took the final photo. This golden milk latte is the perfect fall and winter drink, and is great after a day of skiing or playing in the snow!
How do you make a golden milk latte?
Golden milk lattes are simple to make, and take less than 10 minutes! You just blend spices, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and coconut oil in a glass, heat it up in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, stir, and enjoy!
What are the health benefits of golden milk?
There are many health benefits of golden milk. Golden milk might: reduce inflammation, improve memory and brain function, improve mood, protect against heart disease, lower blood sugar levels, reduce risk of cancer, boost immunity, and improve digestion (in conjunction with ginger).
Can you refrigerate golden milk?
Yes! You have a couple of options here. You can either scale this recipe up, and refrigerate the leftovers. Or, you can mix all of the ingredients together beforehand in a glass (such as before going to work), stick it in the refrigerator, and then heating it up in the evening.
How to Make Golden Milk Latte
*A printable recipe card is available at the bottom of the post
1. Blend everything together in a mug (the coconut oil will remain solid here). Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds, or until the drink is warm. Do not overheat to the point of boiling. Remove mug from the microwave, give it a good stir, and check to make sure it is warm enough. If not, continue microwaving in 10s increments until the desired temperature is reached. Feel free to play with the ratios of spices here, different sweeteners, milks, etc. Some great spices to try adding, would be cardamom and nutmeg. Serve warm.
ARE YOU MAKING THIS RECIPE OR OTHERS?
Share your creations with me by posting a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, share it on Twitter, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #thepanickedfoodie.
Golden Milk Latte
This golden milk latte is the perfect drink for chilly nights! It's also great after a day of skiing or playing outside in the snow.
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, solid
Blend everything together in a mug (the coconut oil will remain solid here).
Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds, or until the drink is warm. Do not overheat to the point of boiling. Remove mug from the microwave, give it a good stir, and check to make sure it is warm enough. If not, continue microwaving in 10s increments until the desired temperature is reached. Serve warm.