Golden Milk Latte
Golden milk lattes are my new favorite drink. It tastes like a chai tea, but creamier. I literally took one sip, and was like why have I not tried this sooner?! Golden milk latte is a very healthy drink if you skip the canned coconut milk (a lot of recipes call for this). I’m all for saturated fats, but I prefer them in moderation. The key healthy ingredient in this drink is turmeric. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties because of the curcumin. However, the amount of curcumin in turmeric is only about 3% by weight, so you either need to ingest a ton of turmeric to feel the benefits, or pair it with black pepper and healthy fats. The piperine in ground black pepper enhances the absorption of curcumin by about 2,000%. Curcumin is also fat-soluble, so it is important to add a fat into the drink. In this recipe, a pinch of black pepper is added, and a small amount of coconut oil is added as the fat. However, if you are going to eat a fatty meal, you can just skip the coconut oil if you want, or if you don’t like the taste. I also like to hit it with an immersion blender to froth it up a bit and give the drink some body. You can also hit it with a frother if you have one on hand. I’m not going to lie…I almost drank the whole thing before I took the final photo. This golden milk latte is the perfect fall and winter drink, and is great after a day of skiing or playing in the snow!
How do you make a golden milk latte?
Golden milk lattes are simple to make, and take less than 10 minutes! You just blend spices, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and coconut oil in a glass, heat it up in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, stir, and enjoy!
What are the health benefits of golden milk?
There are many health benefits of golden milk. Golden milk might: reduce inflammation, improve memory and brain function, improve mood, protect against heart disease, lower blood sugar levels, reduce risk of cancer, boost immunity, and improve digestion (in conjunction with ginger).
Can you refrigerate golden milk?
Yes! You have a couple of options here. You can either scale this recipe up, and refrigerate the leftovers. Or, you can mix all of the ingredients together beforehand in a glass (such as before going to work), stick it in the refrigerator, and then heating it up in the evening.
How to Make Golden Milk Latte: Step-by-Step
1. Blend everything together in a mug (the coconut oil will remain solid here). Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds, or until the drink is warm. Do not overheat to the point of boiling. Remove mug from the microwave, give it a good stir, and check to make sure it is warm enough. If not, continue microwaving in 10s increments until the desired temperature is reached. Feel free to play with the ratios of spices here, different sweeteners, milks, etc. Some great spices to try adding, would be cardamom and nutmeg. Serve warm.
Golden Milk Latte
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, solid
- Blend everything together in a mug (the coconut oil will remain solid here).
- Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds, or until the drink is warm. Do not overheat to the point of boiling. Remove mug from the microwave, give it a good stir, and check to make sure it is warm enough. If not, continue microwaving in 10s increments until the desired temperature is reached. Serve warm.
ARE YOU MAKING THIS RECIPE OR OTHERS? Share your creations with me by posting a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, share it on Twitter, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #thepanickedfoodie.
16 thoughts on “Golden Milk Latte”
Adding Maple syrup wouldn’t make it sweeter? And is there any way that I can make it taste stronger?
Yes, the addition of maple syrup gives it a sweeter taste. If you don’t like maple syrup, you can use another sweetener in place of it. This drink as written, is strong with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric. I gave a range of 1/4-1/2 teaspoon for those that might want less turmeric.
That’s very easy recipe. Love it, just simply mix all my favorite ingredients.
wow i am so impressed by all those health benefits! i had never heard of a golden milk latte and yet all those benefits are inspiring me to try it out
Joy at The Joyous Living
An easy to do drink. I like Milk latte, but never had this before. I have an Indian friend, but they always do the chai latte. I’ll share this one too.
I’ve never tried this kind of latte before but it sounds so delicious and warm! I’ll have to give it a taste 🙂
I can’t wait to try this! I’ve heard so many great health benefits about turmeric lattes!
I have never tried making my own latte, but this looks so good I think I’ll have to give it a try! I’m also looking to incorporate more turmeric into my diet, so this would be perfect!
I never tried this kind of latte before, but now seeing it in here and with recipe I feel like i want to make some someday! Thank you for the recipe!
Never thought of adding turmeric!
Yum, what a great recipe! The flavour sounds amazing and it seems like a straightforward drink to make, Really need to give this a try!
I’ve heard so much about this drink before! I can’t wait to try it out 🙂
I like the sound of this Golden Milk Latte recipe. It looks very yummy. Will be trying it.
I have never tried to drink a gold milk latte . It looks really delicious and so easy to prepare. I would love to try this tonight.
This looks so yummy, I could drink some right now 🙂